When St. Columba was destroyed by fire on September 2, 1954, it was rebuilt on the same site and the present structure was completed on Novenber 9, 1958.
The booklet (below) was published in 1958, and features architectural and liturgical explanations as part of the dedication to the cathedral's reopening.
St. Columba Parish was organized in 1847, and the first building was erected in 1853. A second church was built in 1868, and a larger one in 1897. When the Diocese of Youngstown, encompassing Ashtabula, Portage, Stark, Columbiana, Mahoning, and Trumbull counties, was created in 1943, St. Columba Church was designated the cathedral. A cathedral is the mother church, or bishop's church, so called from the bishop's chair (cathedra), symbol of a bishop's authority. St. Columba.
Designed by Diehl and Diehl , Architects, Detroit,Michigan, and constructed by the Charles Shutrump and Sons Company, Youngstown, Ohio, the Cathedral is an example of modern ecclesiastical architecture. Click the image below to continue reading an interactive, architectural and liturgical expression version published in 1958. You may need to wait a moment for the publication to load, but it is worth it.
- 1826 - Mass is offered for the first time in Youngtown.
- 1847 - St. Columba Parish is organized. Cleveland becomes a diocese.
- 1853 - The first St. Columba Church opens.
- 1860 - The first parochial school is established.
- 1868 - The second St. Columba Church is completed.
- 1871 - The first St. Columba School is built.
- 1897 - The third St. Columba Church opens for worship.
- 1897 - A new convent for Ursuline Nuns is opened.
- 1903 - Bishop Ignatius Horstmann consecrates the thrid St. Columba church.
- 1927 - Copper spires are added to the church.
- 1940 - The old brick church is torn down.
- 1943 - (June 2) St. Columba's becomes the cathedral for new Youngstown Diocese.
- 1943 - The Most Rev. James A. McFadden is installed as first bishop.
- 1949 - Bishop Emmet M. Walsh is installed as coadjutor of diocese.
- 1952 - The new parish school opens behind the cathedral.
- 1954 - (September 2) The Cathedral is destroyed by fire.
- 1958 - The new cathedral is completed, becoming the fourth St. Columba Church.
- 1964 - The first Mass in English is celebrated.
- 1968 - Bishop James W. Malone is installed as third bishop of Youngstown.
- 1972 - St. Columba School is closed, converted to chancery offices in 1973.
- 1996 - Bishop Thomas J. Tobin is installed as fourth bishop of Youngstown.
- 1997 - (June) The Parish celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- 2007 - Bishop George V. Murry, S.J. is installed as fifth Bishop of Youngstown
An impressive statue of St. Columba greets visitors to the Cathedral. Sculpted from four blocks of Mankato stone by Joseph M.LeLauro, an art professor from Detroit, the 11-foot high statue depicts the Irish missionary saint whose 1,400th anniversary is also being celebrated in 1997. Because the earliest Catholics in the Mahoning Valley were Irish immigrants, the famous Irish saint was selected as their patron.
The third St. Columba Church (which was transformed in to a cathedral in
1943) was destroyed by a fire in 1954. This new cathedral was opened in
1958 and continues to serve the parish today.